Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread

3 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread

Post by Psalmist March 23rd 2013, 9:17 pm

"This was the chief crime of Judas Iscariot - that he had partaken of the covenant meal with Jesus and then gone out and betrayed Him. As the psalmist
prophesied, "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me" (Psa. 41:9). -Zac Poonen

For many Christians the term "breaking bread" reminds them on communion. Just before Jesus was betrayed he celebrated communion with his disciples. At this meal it was custom for the host to break the bread and bless it.

"When Jesus instituted the 'breaking of bread', He used a word that He never used before - the word `covenant'. A proper understanding of this word is essential if we are to partake in the Lord's table meaningfully. " (Zac Poonen)

Jesus was serious about his covenant with the disciples. He knew what was coming for himself and those he made covenant with. When you enter into a covenant with a friend you're saying 'I'm with you from now on.' It doesn't matter how good or bad it gets, you're commited to working it out. A covenant is made in a marriage agreement. 'For richer or poorer in sickness and health' means just that. You stick together. Jesus promised to stick with his disciples no matter what they faced. Only a few of his disciples stayed with Jesus to his death. John was at the cross when Jesus died. John was also the first disciple at the empty tomb. Jesus gave his covenant bread to Judas, but Judas had a free will to make or break his covenant with Jesus. He chose to betray Jesus for the price of a common slave.

When you make a covenant with someone, don't be looking around. Count the cost before hand. I'm in covenant with some brother bikers. They know they can call me at any hour (and sometimes do). One of my close friends is an older biker named Tommy. He and I rode to Sturgis together last year and are doing it again this year. He's alot of fun and we get together alot on our days off. I know I can call him anytime and vise versa. We work on each others bikes and projects alot. His experience and my eyes make a great combination. Turn those around and you have disaster. lol!

Someone said 'When they broke bread it meant they would never raise a sword against each other.' I'm not sure of the validity of that, but it does make alot of sense. When we make covenant's, it's because we see something or someone we believe in. Having a friend over for pizza is like making covenant with them. Call that a modern 'breaking bread'. You trust them and enjoy their company. Because Tommy is older (and has lots of cool tools) I go over to his house alot. He's got tools that go back 50 years. Mine go back maybe 10 yrs. Just when I'm about to take a hammer to something, he hands me one of them fancy widgets.

That bike payment is a covenant because you found something worth working for. And when it's finally paid off you enjoy it all the more. That's a covenant with the bank. They like covenants and enjoy your 'company'. Just don't expect them to invite you over for pizza anytime soon.

God's greatest desire is to be in covenant with you. So much so he sent his only son Jesus to die for you. Like Judas you will choose to accept or reject the bread. I encourage you to enter that covenant and stay with him thru thick and thin. Sure there will be some hard times and great times. There will be times when nothing makes sense. But through those times he offers us peace to endure even the pain. I made a covenant with Jesus Christ many years ago and have never regretted it. Even when I 'walked away' he always drew me back. God's not looking for perfect people, hallelujah. He wants friends that will live for him.

Have a great week and get some good riding in. Don't be afraid to make covenants with good people. Better yet, make a covenant with Jesus Christ!
Remember I'm praying for you.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread

Post by trip March 26th 2013, 5:44 am

Good one Dino.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2863

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Breaking bread

Post by actionpack March 26th 2013, 2:17 pm

thanks dino
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down