Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : From A To Z

4 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : From A To Z Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : From A To Z

Post by Psalmist August 30th 2014, 12:36 pm

Heb 10:25 -
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Paul, Tommy, and I rode out to a warehouse liquidator store yesterday and were pleasantly surprised. Have you ever gone to McDonalds in the morning and seen several tables of men talking together (solving the world's problems). I 'spose they get together on a regular basis because the world is still in trouble. And if one of these wise guys were president we'd be in better shape. A to Z is such a gathering place. But here they gather musicians and singers of the senior variety. At first I thought they were pretty simple in their playing and singing. Then I sat down to watch and listen. The guitarist had big stickers on top of his fretboard edge and I assumed he was just getting started. Again I was just wrong. He was playing some pretty cool jazz chords up and down the neck. His eyes just couldn't see the tiny original markers. An old man with bib overalls picked up his stand up bass and began to walk up and down the neck like he'd been playing for over 50 years. The finish was worn off the neck and the bass tone could be heard around most of the store. The pianee' player was a 'boom chucker' from many days gone past, but he kept it together. Of the six musicians, their ages probably added up to near 400. They did a great job of playing songs I heard my parents enjoy. Most of which were before Elvis and the Beatles. The wives chimed in on vocal harmonies. One of the loudest songs was "Beulah Land".

People just don't do this much anymore, and I wish we did. Not one of these wonderful people were texting or talking on their cell phone. No Ipads were opened up. This was family, the way it's supposed to be. We have a rule at our table, NO cell phones, period. No one gets up to answer the phone during a meal. That's why God sneezed on the eighth day and out came answering machines.

Next time you're at lunch and your phone goes off, just reach down and give it a good squeeze. It will stop. If that don't work, throw it in the river and get one that does. The people you are with are more important at the moment than whoever is calling you.

I learned a wonderful lesson in jail visitation with chaplain Bob. He was in his 80's and had a short time left. He knew it and acted accordingly. His beeper or phone would go off often while I was with him. But he waited till later to respond. What and whoever was in front of him was more important than the person trying to get ahold of him. This generation needs to learn this again.

Our staff goes to lunch together often on Mondays. There's a little Mexican dive a few blocks away and their food is pretty good. I noticed when we sat down, eight of us put our phones on the table. WHY? I'm changing my ways from now on. Without even looking at the screen, I'm just going to give it a squeeze and keep talking. What do you think might happen if I suggest this to the table? I might not get invited to the next lunch.

Social media has taken over this generation and they have forgotten how to enjoy the food in front of them. But there is hope. Next time you're out with friends/family; ask them if they can put their phones on 'stun'. The writer of Hebrews encourages us to get together and exhort one another. Listen twice as much as you talk. You have two ears and one mouth for a purpose. Can you imagine having two mouths on the sides of your head and only one ear below your nose? Good bye stereo and quadraphonic 8 tracks.

This week try and find one of these 'watering hole' type places and take your kids to it. They have to leave their devices on the bike or in the car. Sit close enough to hear the richness of their friendships.

"Slow down, you move too fast. You got to make the morning last. Just kicking down the cobble stones. Looking for fun and feelin' groovy. Hello lamppost, What cha knowing?" -Paul and Artie

Have a great looong weekend and go for a ride. I just blew out my front fork seals, so I'm 'cage'ing it till Tuesday. I'm just glad it didn't happen in Cody, WY. After 78,000 miles I guess that's pretty good. Till Next week I'm praying for you
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : From A To Z Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : From A To Z

Post by NeonLeon August 30th 2014, 7:59 pm

thanks dino
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth