Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace

3 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace

Post by Psalmist September 8th 2012, 11:31 pm

Probably one of the most sung songs in all history is Amazing Grace. Here are the original words:

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a
wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I
see.
’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And
grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I
first believ’d!
Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have
already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead
me home.
The Lord has promis’d good to me,
His word my
hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life
endures.
Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And
mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy
and peace.
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The
sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever
mine.
John New­ton, Ol­ney Hymns (Lon­don: W. Ol­i­ver,
1779)

If you study songs and their age, you might find it amazing that this song has been so popular for so long. Why is it so popular? Well maybe because it deals with something we can't quite fathom- grace. We all lack grace from time to time. When someone pulls in front of your bike then slows down rapidly, your grace is pretty thin if there is any. Or maybe you're out on the highway and it's really raining hard. Logic (or your wife) might say 'Pull over and wait it out. You have plenty of time.' Or "Maybe you should pull over and put on the rain gear." But sometimes we feel we can beat the rain or it will be over in 5 minutes. So we press on and get soaked. Adding to the frustration, there's a chicken hauling semi that just pulled in front of you on the highway at 70+ mph. Now you're wet and feathers (and who knows what) are coming at you and the bike. Your once clean ride now resembles 'Sanford and Son's old truck. Now most of the grace is gone. Do you still have any grace?

Last night we had a banquet at the church. I needed to be there early to welcome everyone at the door. At the same time there was a strong storm coming right towards us. So I figured I could greet everyone, then hop on the bike and get home before the storm. One of the ministers at the church is a fantastic cook. I have trouble with anything that doesn't say "Campbells Chicken Noodle". So wisely they never ask me to cook for ...anything. While I'm waiting for the last person to get to the banquet I ask for a take home dinner. The cook says give me two minutes and I'll bring it out. So I wait and greet while the darkest clouds are at the edge of town. My bike is fast sometimes and these clouds look to be taking their time. I have a set of Frogg Toggs in the saddlebag, but I'm quite sure I won't need them. Well, three minutes goe by and I start my bike and open the trunk. One of our youth brings me out a great smelling styro and I quickly put it in the trunk. Off I fly across town, but now the real dark clouds have picked up speed. I have a rain suit calling my name from inside the left saddlebag, BUT I can outride this cloud. Then my favorite road turned into the darkest, windiest, rainiest, storm ever. By the time I got to a place to put on the rain suit, I was drenched and the wind/rain was really impressive (literally). Sometimes, God moves the storms. Sometimes He doesn't. Fortunately I have a mud/snow tire on the back and it does great in the rain and snow. But that's another post. I rode home totally soaked but safe. When I got home, I dripped straight to the shower and dried off.

Adversity builds character and shows you what is really inside your heart. Do you complain and condemn others because they 'always get it easy' and you have to work for everything the hard way? Or do you compliment others easily and appreciate anything you get? How do you deal with grace? Do you give people room to make mistrakes and offer help if they fall? The most judgemental people are those with a very low self image. Grace is preferring others over yourself. God preferred you over His Son. The Father knew you couldn't be saved from your sins, based on your abilities. You can't earn by good works, a key to the kingdom of God. Good works are great and some of you give sacrificially. I always get a kick seeing government people filling sandbags and dispersing groceries when the camera is on. And hopefully they continue after the news reporters leave. Do I judge them for the 'photo opp' ? Or do I look for ways to help also. I'll admit I don't have the grace I need to not think thoughts. But I'm working on it. In Christ we have a new beginning and we strive daily to be more like Him. You might not be where you want to be as a Christian, BUT thank God you're not where you used to be.

Eph 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

2:9 -
not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Next time someone says or does something that you don't agree with, walk away. When someone posts something derrogative about you, give it sometime before responding in the same tone. Easy to do? NOT. Jesus, give us grace to deal with others the way you deal with us.

James 1:

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. 21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. 22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does. 26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCp5LG_zNE
Have a great graceful week. Remember I'm praying for you.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace

Post by jaarch September 9th 2012, 8:58 pm

Thanks Dino. Poignant and full of grace, as usual.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Male Number of posts : 7387

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Amazing Grace

Post by trip September 9th 2012, 9:25 pm

We sang Amazing Grace this morning. One of my favorites.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2863

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist September 10th 2012, 11:28 pm

Thanks guys. Wes, You still planning on Birmingham? Or do you have other plans? Have a great week.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by trip September 11th 2012, 6:40 am

Dino I'm sorry I haven't told you anything about Birmingham yet. No other plans, but finances are in the way. Don't plan on me being there but I'm still trying.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist September 12th 2012, 7:24 am

No problem Wes. I'm going with some friends anyway. If I see an old 'trumpet' in the parking lot for $200 or less, I'll get it for you.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by trip September 12th 2012, 9:38 pm

Thanks. I'm trying to go.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down