Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clunker math

3 posters

Go down

Clunker math Empty Clunker math

Post by Guest December 24th 2010, 7:21 pm

The person who calculated this bit of information went to high school in Pittsburgh , Pa. He is now & has been a professor at The University of West Virginia in Morgantown, West Virginia for the last forty some years. I never looked at the clunker program in such depth.

Clunker Math

Think of it this way: A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year. They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per year. That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption. More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved

I'm pretty sure the health care bill will not apply the same kind of math.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Clunker math Empty Re: Clunker math

Post by jaarch December 24th 2010, 8:52 pm

I wish I could find a deal like that for myself. I'm sure I could come up with $1,000.00 for an $8,570.00 return.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Male Number of posts : 7387

Back to top Go down

Post by smokum December 25th 2010, 10:31 pm

jaarch wrote:I wish I could find a deal like that for myself. I'm sure I could come up with $1,000.00 for an $8,570.00 return.

Check your math Joe. Other way around. Someone had a rectal / cranial inversion thing going on when they came up with this idea. (where's Larry, i'm thinkin we need an execution)
smokum
smokum
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack December 26th 2010, 7:17 am

i don't think that program was put forth to save fuel for the gov , it was put forth to put alot of people to help save there jobs , including ford , so this wa a bail out to save some work , do the math on the banks and wall st bail outs and i wonder what that would come to ,
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum