Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Mentors

3 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Mentors Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : Mentors

Post by Psalmist November 22nd 2014, 5:39 pm

2Th 3:7 -
For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

2Th 3:9 -
Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

1Ti 5:24 -
Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.

1Ti 6:11 -
But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

2Ti 2:22 -
Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Someone said "If you're leading and no one is following, you're just going for a walk." We all look to others in one form or another as a mentor or example to follow. We might be hesitant at times to do something that we have little experience in. After 7 kids I tell young dads to get one of mom's worn shirts whenever she leaves the baby with him. This will make for a nice afternoon as the baby thinks mom is right there. Sure she looks hairy and talks lower. But that smell is definitely mom. Well at least that worked for me .... a few times.

Yesterday and today our family drove to one of our older daughter's basketball tournaments. She was a senior player and played most of the games. Some of the girls were faster and such but my daughter was a real team player. She passed the ball more than shot it herself. I noticed how other girls on her team watched her style and copied it often. Without saying anything she was mentoring them. She wasn't the high point scorer but she made some of the plays sparkle.

Who are your mentors in your field of life? As a worship leader, I learned valuable lessons watching a seasoned worship leader Kent Henry. He was travelling through our area and stopped at our church for a seminar. On that Sunday he led the worship. During the church service he led worship wonderfully and most people really entered into worship and praise. Afterward, he was in the back at a booth with his cd's and books. Often times people will sell these to help their travelling expenses. When I made it to the front to thank him for coming, he asked me "Where's your wife and kids?" I explained that they were in the car and we just wanted to say thanks for coming. He asked this again and said "Let's go!" I tried to talk him out of it because I knew this was valuable (literally) time for him. He turned what he was doing over to one of the deacons and followed me out to our old van full of kids and my wife. One of my sons had a popgun so Kent pretended to have one too. They had a quick stand off then he prayed for each of our children and my wife and I. He didn't have time for that, but he took the time to serve Jesus and show me how to be a servant.

When it comes to bikers, there's a friend of mine who is president of Road Riders for Jesus International. We have stayed with him and his wonderful wife Sally several times. Sure they are very busy, but they always make you feel like you're the only one that matters. Carl Crackle and his wife are two fantastic mentors of how to live the Christian life.

Ultimately of course is Jesus Christ. He is the most selfless example. He who knew no sin became sin for us that we might become His righteousness. He emptied Himself of all His glory to take on our sin so we could live forever with Him. Former lead singer of Kansas sings a song with the line "No one ever died for me before." Make Jesus your mentor and follow Him on the greatest journey beyond all imagination. Give Him everything and receive all that He has for you. You might be surprised to learn He has more than you. Have a great week and don't eat too much. I'm praying for you. Friend me on FB if you want. I pray for my friends on there each Friday.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Mentors Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Mentors

Post by trip November 22nd 2014, 6:38 pm

Thanks Dino.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter