Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Busy day today

+6
actionpack
NeonLeon
jedishon
GoldwingDave
Simpleman77
jaarch
10 posters

Go down

Busy day today Empty Busy day today

Post by jaarch November 6th 2010, 8:51 am

Well I'm going to be busy today. I have the bike all torn apart in the garage and I'm getting a bunch of maintenance done. I'm changing the oil, adjusting the valves, rebuilding the forks, changing the rear shock bushings, cleaning my air filter, re routing my engine breather, and going darkside (Michelin Hydroedge 205/60/15). Should keep me busy for a while but first, I am going to cook breakfast for my family. This is going to be a fun day. TU
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Male Number of posts : 7387

Back to top Go down

Busy day today Empty Re: Busy day today

Post by Simpleman77 November 6th 2010, 9:29 am

Busy day today 18966 Very cool working on your own bike. Thats alot of fun and feels great when you get back out on the road.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldwingDave November 6th 2010, 10:07 am

I am still deciding if I am going to tackle a 2-3 hr. air filter change or pay a guy $90 in a nearby town to do it.
GoldwingDave
GoldwingDave
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 389

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 6th 2010, 10:17 am

GoldwingDave wrote:I am still deciding if I am going to tackle a 2-3 hr. air filter change or pay a guy $90 in a nearby town to do it.

For me, that is a no-brainer. Do it yourself and save the cash (of course, I have no cash so it makes it an easy decision).
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 November 6th 2010, 10:44 am

jaarch wrote:
GoldwingDave wrote:I am still deciding if I am going to tackle a 2-3 hr. air filter change or pay a guy $90 in a nearby town to do it.

For me, that is a no-brainer. Do it yourself and save the cash (of course, I have no cash so it makes it an easy decision).

Also, figure out what other maintenance you can do on the way in to the filter and than back out. I would bet that there are a few other things that you can do as well.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 6th 2010, 11:17 am

I hope you made a boo boo about the tire size. A 60 series will not work on a 1300. Most go 70 series because its easier to seat than the 65 especially with spokes. Just finished adjusting the valves and redoing the carb on mine.
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 5470

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon November 6th 2010, 11:56 am

jedishon wrote:I hope you made a boo boo about the tire size. A 60 series will not work on a 1300. Most go 70 series because its easier to seat than the 65 especially with spokes. Just finished adjusting the valves and redoing the carb on mine.

and you didn't call me??? Shocked
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Male Number of posts : 7201

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest November 6th 2010, 12:30 pm

NeonLeon wrote:
jedishon wrote:I hope you made a boo boo about the tire size. A 60 series will not work on a 1300. Most go 70 series because its easier to seat than the 65 especially with spokes. Just finished adjusting the valves and redoing the carb on mine.

gnd gnd LP lol! gnd gnd
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 6th 2010, 1:18 pm

NeonLeon wrote:

Next time Mr. Smooth
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack November 6th 2010, 4:17 pm

Ray wrote:
NeonLeon wrote:

gnd gnd LP lol! gnd gnd
Shocked Shocked Shocked
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 6th 2010, 4:58 pm

No boo boo. It is a 60 but it is on a cast wheel. it went on the wheel with no issues but it was a major pain in the butt to get it on the bike. I'm getting ready to go for a ride once my GPS charges. I'm going to recalibrate the speedometer.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 6th 2010, 5:02 pm

Thats got to lower your bike by 1/2". Its gonna raise your rpms at top end.
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 6th 2010, 7:16 pm

I put about 30 miles on it tonight and it sure feels weird. I will get used to it. Tomorrow I'm going to a parking lot to practice my slow speed stuff. The speedo was off 9 mph at 50 indicating to the high side. I set the speedohealer and it is dead on now. It does not seem like the rps are higher but I'll keep an eye on the gas mileage and let you all know.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist November 6th 2010, 11:14 pm

Yeah, you can get used to it. I had one on my Neo and Retro 1800's. It was a Goodyear TT 205/60/16. I loved it on both. Especially in the rain, it holds the road so well. Cornering at first is kinda hairy.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by smokum November 7th 2010, 6:18 am

Took me roughly 200 miles before it seemed like the tire loosened up. Kind of a weird way to describe it but maybe that's just me. Make sure that mold release is off before you start leaning into those corners, and those corners are gonna be fun!
smokum
smokum
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 7th 2010, 8:46 am

jaarch wrote:No boo boo. It is a 60 but it is on a cast wheel. it went on the wheel with no issues but it was a major pain in the butt to get it on the bike. I'm getting ready to go for a ride once my GPS charges. I'm going to recalibrate the speedometer.

Probably would have been easier to let the air out of the tire. Did you turn your exhaust bolts around?
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 7th 2010, 9:30 am

jedishon wrote:
jaarch wrote:No boo boo. It is a 60 but it is on a cast wheel. it went on the wheel with no issues but it was a major pain in the butt to get it on the bike. I'm getting ready to go for a ride once my GPS charges. I'm going to recalibrate the speedometer.

Probably would have been easier to let the air out of the tire. Did you turn your exhaust bolts around?

I turned the bolts around and let the air out. It was not going in there with air in it.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Back to top Go down

Post by marang November 7th 2010, 9:42 am

That's a fun day in my book. I love doing stuff like that.

Dave, do the air filter yourself. It really isn't that big of a deal, plus you can adjust the cruise control cable while your in there. If your really feeling froggy once you get in there pull the gas tank to tighten the clamps on all the coolant hoses.
marang
marang
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 5977

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetrash November 7th 2010, 1:06 pm

TU Sounds like ya did a Good Job Joe. -------- Coffee
whitetrash
whitetrash
Coffee Member
Coffee Member

Male Number of posts : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist November 7th 2010, 2:06 pm

jaarch wrote:Well I'm going to be busy today. I have the bike all torn apart in the garage and I'm getting a bunch of maintenance done. I'm changing the oil, adjusting the valves, rebuilding the forks, changing the rear shock bushings, cleaning my air filter, re routing my engine breather, and going darkside (Michelin Hydroedge 205/60/15). Should keep me busy for a while but first, I am going to cook breakfast for my family. This is going to be a fun day. TU

Us wing nuts wish our air filter was this close. The 18'ers here have a day just to get to the crazy thing. I think Honda put it just above the oil filter Wink !!

9 to go.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 7th 2010, 3:16 pm

Well I went out to a local parking lot and gave the tire a work out doing slow speed MSF stuff. I was making u-turns inside of two parking spaces and I could ride in circles with the bars at full lock in either direction and drag the floorboards all the way around. I'd say it will work just fine. It still slides a bit in the corners so I still have some work wearing off the mold release but that won't take too long.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 7th 2010, 3:23 pm

Sounds good. I've got about 34,000 miles on ct's. 2 up is super smooth on the road.
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist November 7th 2010, 4:11 pm

You're making me jealous! If I ct the 1500, I lose about 1 1/2 inches in seat height and the motor revs higher to maintain the same speed. But it's still on the santa list.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down