Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time For a New Tire

+4
jaarch
actionpack
Railrider
Redleg
8 posters

Go down

Time For a New Tire Empty Time For a New Tire

Post by Redleg March 3rd 2011, 7:03 pm

After spending about 2 hours on the side of the road yesterday with a flat tire I decided it's time to get a new one. I've had this over 2 years and plugged a hole in it this winter. It must have let go right after I got off the interstate to get gas. I've never ridden on a flat MC tire, but that flat car tire created a wobble that I couldn't control at 25 mph. Talked to my tire guy today and I'll have a new one on there tomorrow for $96. I hate to get rid of my old one as it looks almost brand new. Still lots of tread on it but I don't trust it anymore after having rode about a mile on the side walls to find a safe place to pull over.

I can't be too upset about the flat as it happened after I pulled off the interstate. God was watching out for me. There's now way I could've kept her up going 80.
Redleg
Redleg
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1121

Back to top Go down

Time For a New Tire Empty Re: Time For a New Tire

Post by Railrider March 3rd 2011, 7:41 pm

I don't blame you, I'd be getting a new one too.
Railrider
Railrider
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1692

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack March 3rd 2011, 8:11 pm

sounds like its time , i can't even imagen a blow out at 80 affraid affraid affraid
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch March 3rd 2011, 11:52 pm

Yep, when a tire is in doubt, replace it. There is no worse feeling than not trusting your tires (except for maybe the moment a suspect tire lets go while you are running hard at 80).
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Male Number of posts : 7387

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist March 4th 2011, 12:40 am

Was it a car or motorcycle tire? I had a blow out on the highway with my VTX Neo with the ct on. I had about 10 seconds to bring it down to a stop. We're talking pucker power. Yes I believe God is watching over you. Glad you're ok. What did you put on it?
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 March 4th 2011, 6:03 am

Yup, I had a rear MC tire go down on the interstate at around 90 m.p.h. last year. Replaced it with a CT. I am just now getting back to where I can ride at speed without a feeling of dread. It shook me up bad for a long time, took my trust of the machine away.

Last Sunday I rode down to Stuart and back, 250 miles round trip. First time since the flat that I felt good about riding at speed. Rode the 100 miles home averaging between 80-95 m.p.h., both interstate and back roads, and felt really good about it.

Glad you're o.k., Redleg. And, yes, after any distance on the sidewalls you probably have killed the tire.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack March 4th 2011, 7:00 am

Simpleman77 wrote:Yup, I had a rear MC tire go down on the interstate at around 90 m.p.h. last year. Replaced it with a CT. I am just now getting back to where I can ride at speed without a feeling of dread. It shook me up bad for a long time, took my trust of the machine away.

Last Sunday I rode down to Stuart and back, 250 miles round trip. First time since the flat that I felt good about riding at speed. Rode the 100 miles home averaging between 80-95 m.p.h., both interstate and back roads, and felt really good about it.

Glad you're o.k., Redleg. And, yes, after any distance on the sidewalls you probably have killed the tire.
well for crying out loud , i thought 60 was fast enought , i guess i don't hold a candle to a good hard rideing biker , use to when younger , but it seems like up here in the woods you can't get that kind of speed with the anamals jumping out at ya , and we don't have any eways close by scratch
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by tcarp66 March 4th 2011, 9:22 am

Glad it worked out the way it did Harold!!
tcarp66
tcarp66
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 3176

Back to top Go down

Post by Redleg March 4th 2011, 9:50 am

I was running a car tire. I believe it's an Altima 205-70-15. I had good luck with it and am replacing it with the same one.

I should've replaced it instead of plugging it but was too cheap to replace a tire with a good 20K worth of tread still on it. My only source of mounting CT on a MC makes it about the same cost to replace than to patch.

I know if that thing had not went flat, I could have easily got 30K worth of tread wear. I've got most of my friends running CTs now.
Redleg
Redleg
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1121

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist March 4th 2011, 10:40 pm

If I keep the wing, I might be going to a CT soon. A friend has a nice 1800 yeller wing for sale. We call it mine. It has 60,000 miles and wants $11,000 for it (03). So Ebay'ing I will go. I know the 1800 does well with a ct.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by smokum March 4th 2011, 11:20 pm

Simpleman77 wrote:

Yes, glad all's well Harold.
And Eric, I can't drive 55 either. (Wyoming frowns upon this)
smokum
smokum
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack March 5th 2011, 4:54 am

smokum wrote:
Simpleman77 wrote:

Yes, glad all's well Harold.
And Eric, I can't drive 55 either. (Wyoming frowns upon this)
kind of diff out there is'nt jeff , wide open country roads , we have woods 4 ft off the roads in most places or tall grass and then tree's ,
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down