Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thought it was over ...

4 posters

Go down

Thought it was over ...  Empty Thought it was over ...

Post by NeonLeon March 12th 2014, 5:20 am

It hit the mid 60's yesterday! That is the first time above 40 since last year. I held off on riding cause of the salt and gravel on the roads ... but there were a lot of bikes out. It's 48 as I write this ..... BUT .... raining and the rain will change to snow and ice around 1 this afternoon .... another winter storm advisory .... I pray this is winter's last gasp ...

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 AM EDT THURSDAY... ...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO NOON EDT THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO NOON EDT THURSDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES.

* SNOW BEGINNING...EARLY AFTERNOON.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* SNOW ENDING...LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND TEMPERATURES FALLING BELOW FREEZING CAUSING WIDESPREAD DEVELOPMENT OF ICY ROADS.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* WIND CHILLS BETWEEN -10 AND -15 THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA ARE POSSIBLE IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MEANS THAT TRAVELING WILL BE INHIBITED DUE TO SLIPPERY ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITY. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING AND REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING 412-262- 1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WIND WILL PRODUCE LOW WIND CHILL INDICES. THIS COULD RESULT IN FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS...MAKE SURE YOU DRESS PROPERLY.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Male Number of posts : 7201

Back to top Go down

Thought it was over ...  Empty Re: Thought it was over ...

Post by actionpack March 12th 2014, 2:53 pm

bummer , looks like mother nature has other plans for us , grab the snow shovel ,  Shocked Shocked Cold 
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by trip March 13th 2014, 5:59 am

It wasn't to cold here but the wind was gusting about 50 mph.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2863

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 March 13th 2014, 6:21 am

I'm feeling it for my northern brothers. Y'all are getting your collective butts kicked this winter.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Post by trip March 13th 2014, 12:48 pm

I lost two large White Pines yesterday in the wind. Been cutting and splitting most of the day. Also lost part of my fence.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack March 13th 2014, 6:50 pm

that's a shame , 2 trees are a lost ,and a pain to rebuild the fence , bummer , but the pine will smell good when you burn it  , we got hit about a month ago up here , took a lot of trees down in the woods , how close are you to the ocean wes ,  gun  gun  
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by trip March 14th 2014, 7:16 am

I'm about 200 miles from the ocean.  White pines grow to about 35 years old in this area.  Mine are 37 years old.  They are a northern tree.  There were 54 around my property when I moved in.  I have 5 left.  I take a couple down every year so I don't have to worry about them falling on something.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack March 14th 2014, 4:09 pm

trip wrote:I'm about 200 miles from the ocean.  White pines grow to about 35 years old in this area.  Mine are 37 years old.  They are a northern tree.  There were 54 around my property when I moved in.  I have 5 left.  I take a couple down every year so I don't have to worry about them falling on something.
I use to own 10 acres and I had one old growth white pine , that sucker is at least 150 years old , its a good 5 ft at the butt , it was left when they clear cut the pine in the early 1900 or so , it had a big crook in it so they didn't cut it , it would of been timber bound and no good for saw logs
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum