Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : For God so loved

2 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope :  For God so loved Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : For God so loved

Post by Psalmist December 14th 2013, 8:57 pm

Sunday Mornin' Hope : For God so loved

Book of John
Chapter 3 - Click for Chapter Audio
3:16 - [ In Context | Read Chapter | Discuss this Verse ]
[ Original: Greek | Multi-Translation | Make Poster ]For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Probably the best known verse in the Bible. Why? People wear that scripture on their shirts to professional games more than any other verse in the Bible. Why don't they use the verse Daniel 1:8? That's my favorite verse. It speaks of being undefiled. Or maybe Revelation 12:11, that's a great verse too. ..."and they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony." Ok, maybe the letters of Revelation might be too long to put on a shirt. John 3:16 is a simple yet profound verse found in the Bible because of its meaning and background. We can understand the meaning pretty well, but why did John the disciple write it? In order to hermeneutically research correctly, we must keep it in text. So let's look at some of the previous verses to figure out just why John quoted Jesus and added background to it.

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, F7 he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. F8 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Nicodemus was a student of the Word of God and believed in Jesus Christ. He wasn't invited to Jesus trial but shows up after His death to anoint Jesus with 75 lbs of burial spices. Nicodemus was one of the rulers of the Jews. He had a high office in the temple. But why did he come to Jesus by night? In those days it was totally dark at night. There was no streetlights or well lit roads. How did Nicodemus know where to find Jesus? I think Nicodemus was driven by love of God and Jesus knew it. Maybe Jesus left a note with John to give to Nicodemus to come and meet with Him by night. If the other scribes and Pharisees' saw him go there by day, he might have been expelled and executed as well. Also at night, maybe Jesus had a lot more time to spend teaching. During the day it was a constant mob around Jesus.

John quotes Jesus last words to Nicodemus and adds how much God loves this world in 3:14-15

13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

So now I ask you a question. Why does Jesus say in verse 13 "the Son of man which is in heaven." ?? I don't honestly know, except God is not bound by time. He was, is, and is to come. He is chronos, not bound by time. But the most important question you need to answer is "What am I doing with Jesus Christ?" You either walk with Him or walk away from Him. I hope you choose to walk with Him day and night.

One last thing about John 3:16. It had a huge impact on my when I looked into the eyes of my first son. How could God send His only Son? I wouldn't. I would have let the Earth perish. Would you give up your son to be tortured and tormented in a slow death on a cross naked? Not me.

Have a fantastic week and stay warm! I rode today and will tomorrow if it's not raining. I can handle cold and I can ride in the rain. But a cold rain is more than I can handle. Today it was 33 degrees. That's a little cold for me. Remember I'm praying for you.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope :  For God so loved Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : For God so loved

Post by actionpack December 15th 2013, 3:11 pm

thanks dino
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum