Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recall a Good Thing

5 posters

Go down

Recall a Good Thing Empty Recall a Good Thing

Post by Simpleman77 December 6th 2013, 7:48 am

So, there was a recall on my 16 year old Kawasaki that hadn't been done. I found this out because I took it to the dealer to see about getting some leaking gaskets replaced. They were dropping a substantial amount of oil on the jugs and one was leaking on the back of the rear jug. I was informed that the engine would have to be pulled to replace the gaskets. Typical, $500 in labor to do $50 worth of work on the gaskets. I wasn't happy. Was needing to be done. Was at a point where oil was hitting the outside of the pipes when I rode.

Now, the service writer decides to check the VIN. Comes back and tells me that there was a major recall that hadn't been done. The recall was for "backfiring and hard starting". They would have to pull the motor, replace the valves and valve springs and all the gaskets that were already leaking. Happy dance ensued.

I was a bit bummed because I figured that they would have the bike for two weeks to do the work. This dealer doesn't have a real busy service department right now but, hell, they are pulling the engine so I figured it'd take alot of time. Plus ordering the parts I figured would take 3-4 days. I dropped the bike off Monday morning. Went by the dealer Tuesday and just drove through the parking lot. My bike was sitting outside and hadn't been touched by the mechanic. I was a bit pissed but wanted to give them the benefit of waiting another day before yelling at them. Well, Wednesday got real busy and I never went by or called the dealer. So, yesterday I went by, parked my truck, walked past my bike, STILL sitting outside and went into the service aisle. Here comes the smiling service writer who said I was on his list to call. I said really? Then I asked him rather accusingly when he was going to get my bike in and work started. He smiled and said that it was done. They ordered the parts Monday and Kawasaki over nighted them in for Tuesday. Then the mechanic walked over and showed me a box with the old parts in it and explained the job to me. I was stunned and let them know. I asked the mechanic how long it took him to do the job, real time not book time. He thought about it and said about 6 hours. This guy has been a Kawi mechanic for 20 years or better and really knows his stuff. Really happy with this dealership. Everything and everyone are 100% customer oriented.

Needless to say, I rode to a meeting yesterday afternoon and rode home at midnight...in short sleeves I might add. (rofl)
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Recall a Good Thing Empty Re: Recall a Good Thing

Post by NeonLeon December 6th 2013, 8:02 am

Simpleman77 wrote: I rode to a meeting yesterday afternoon and rode home at midnight...in short sleeves I might add.  (rofl)
I rode to work in short sleeves this morning at about 5:30 ... of course the short sleeves were under my leather and my hoody ... Na Na 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Male Number of posts : 7201

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 6th 2013, 9:06 am

Here's an opposite case ... I bought an XD-S 45 by Springfield Arms. I LOVE the gun. It's a single stack 45 that conceals nice and shoots unbelievably accurate for a short barrel pistol. (3.3 inches) So they announced a "voluntary" recall back in August / September because they said "there is a possibility that the gun could double fire. I sent it in in early September. They provided free shipping. I am STILL waiting to get it back. Now they are saying after the holidays. I'm thinking someone owes me a new gun or a refund or a new motorcycle or some type of compensation. Needless to say it will be my last Springfield! Twisted Evil 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by trip December 6th 2013, 10:18 am

Len that sux.  I had a recall on a Ruger LCP right after they hit the market.  If I remember correctly it was gone for about 3 weeks.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2863

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 6th 2013, 1:01 pm

I had a Ruger P-85 a long time back ... it was recalled and they sent me a prepaid box and only had it a short time. When I got it back they sent me 2 spare clips and a hat.
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist December 6th 2013, 4:50 pm

Good story Eric. I have found that Mama Kaw really tries to take care of her peeps. Glad it worked out for you.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by trip December 6th 2013, 10:37 pm

NeonLeon wrote:I had a Ruger P-85 a long time back ... it was recalled and they sent me a prepaid box and only had it a short time. When I got it back they sent me 2 spare clips and a hat.
I only got one spare magazine and a hat. But they were fast.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2863

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 13th 2013, 7:24 am

Well, rode it last weekend. Rode 225 miles Saturday and another 250 on Sunday. Was in Daytona Sunday when I noticed oil all over the front of the engine. Not blowing enough to leak but definitely covering the front and blowing down the side cover as I rode. So I took it to the dealer on Monday morning. When I got to the dealer, I also noticed that the tab on top of the radiator that holds the radiator to the bike had a small bit of coolant seeping out around it, a separate issue but a problem just the same. Got a call from the dealership that the radiator needed to be replaced, cost: $525 + labor. They discounted it to $520 for everything. I asked what the issue was (already knew). He told me about the top tab. I thought about it and told him that I was coming by to pick it up.

Went by yesterday and picked up the radiator and took it to a radiator shop in Orlando. Dropped it off to have them grind and solder around the top tab, which should seal the leak. As for the oil, I'm not sure what the problem was but it will be fixed. I'll be picking the radiator up this morning and hoping that they get the bike back together today or tomorrow at the latest.

Now, with all that said, I must say that this is getting a bit frustrating. With all the good feelings that I have about this bike, the history and the fact that I love riding it, I'm growing a bit frustrated with it. Since I bought it 5 months ago I've 1) replaced the clutch spring (slipping clutch) 2) Replaced the water pump mechanical seal (leaking water pump) 3) had a major recall done to replace valves and valve springs but really to simply replace some gaskets to stop oil leaks, 4) repairing the radiator and 5) the oil leak in the front of the engine that the mechanic tells me isn't related to the recall repairs.

There are several considerations here, first, this bike has a great history that I love and respect. Next, I MUST have a dependable bike for the work I do with BACA. This isn't something where I can buy towing insurance and just hope for the best when I'm 600 miles from home. Finally, I absolutely love riding this bike. I love the set up, the seat is the most comfortable I've been on, ever, the riding position is very good for me, the sound is fantastic and the torque of this thing is a blast. It's a great looking machine with a bunch of add ons that just make it complete.

I'm going to come to a point where I've had enough of repairing this thing. It will cause a bit of drama with my chapter as most patch members remember Road Dog and this machine but my response will be a simple, "When you start paying for the repairs, I'll consider not selling it." I don't know when I'll reach that point, may have already and just not realized it. My wife is certainly tired of me spending money on it and me griping about it being in the shop at this point. Fortunately, for the money I paid for it, I'm just reaching that point where I'm starting to get in front of the dollar curve for what it's worth versus what I'm spending on it, if that makes sense. For now, I'm hoping to get it back to be able to do a toy run on Sunday but we'll see.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 13th 2013, 8:00 am

Man that just sucks. Look at it this way ... at least it isn't snowing ...  Shrug 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 13th 2013, 8:43 am

Thank you Len. Can always count on you to look at the upside.  cheers 
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack December 14th 2013, 4:00 pm

what a kick in the knee caps , that is a good looking ride E , could be you got all the bugs worked out , or the grimlins are waiting for more money , good luck on what ever you decide ,  scratch 
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 14th 2013, 6:06 pm

Picked the scoot up today. They didn't charge me for the oil leak issue but did for the radiator remove/replace. They discounted the work though. Did a flush and fill on the cooling system while it was apart and only charged me 2 hours labor for the whole thing. So, all told, this round only cost me $190. Gonna ride several hundred miles tomorrow barring any bad weather and see if it holds together.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 14th 2013, 6:22 pm

Thumbs Up 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack December 14th 2013, 8:00 pm

when your on your run tomarow , and the old girl takes you and brings you back , you just mite have lost the gremins ,  cheers 
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 15th 2013, 5:35 am

Gosh, I sure hope so Billy. I like this bike but it's getting tiresome spending money on it, especially right before Christmas.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 20th 2013, 8:08 am

Rode last Sunday, around 125 miles and started smelling coolant. Got home last night and there was coolant all over the radiator, looked like it was leaking from the top hose. Tried to tighten the hose clamp a bit and it stripped out. Great, I thought, got it nailed cheap. Went out this morning and bought a new hose clamp, installed it and took the beast for a ride. No joy, fluid seeping out from shitty welds from the repair.

Went online and I found a brand new in the box radiator from a California distributor for $105 less than the Kawi dealers best price. Bought and express shipped for $210. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. So, I'll be pulling the old radiator tomorrow and waiting on the new one. The savings should somewhat cover my fucking stupidity in dealing with this entire fiasco. I'll take the old one back to the guy who "fixed" it with the shitty welds and have him grind and re-weld again. Will keep it as a spare.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 20th 2013, 8:10 am

Received the new radiator Wednesday, just two days shipped from California. Installed it last night but it was too late to ride it in a "test drive" mode. So, I'll take it out today and see how she's holding together. If it's good, I'll ride up to Oak Hill where I'm having a zipper installed in a new-to-me leather jacket. That'll be a 200+ mile round trip. If good then, I have a 500+ miler that I'm doing on Saturday.

As an aside, when checking my oil last night, I looked at my schedule for the last date/mileage that I changed it. Holy crap, November 15 and 2,050 miles ago. And the thing has been down for 7 days of that.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 20th 2013, 10:14 am

hope she runs perfect for you
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 December 20th 2013, 3:38 pm

Had a good 200 mile run today. We'll see tomorrow. Happy right now with it, though.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by NeonLeon December 20th 2013, 4:01 pm

TU 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack December 20th 2013, 4:15 pm

sounds like you mite have a handle on her now eric , sometimes them quick fixes just don't pan out , as much as you ride , the new radiator just mite of put you on the other side of all the fixes you have done and you can get to just riding the old girl and lay the wheches down ,  Thumbs Up 
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down