Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Day

5 posters

Go down

Great Day Empty Great Day

Post by Simpleman77 November 25th 2013, 8:17 pm

Had a great day today. Had so much go right and some things that were just simply unexpected. I got a house rental finalized for some good friends who are moving this week and we will have renters in by next week, no downtime for the house which is a good thing. My daughter got two college acceptance letters with huge scholarship offerings in the mail. I got an insurance appraisal settled out today. I also got a 5 month old invoice paid by a law firm from a deposition that I did six months ago.

Oh, and got good news for some work needed on my bike. Back story on that, my new-to-me Kawasaki Vulcan has a few minor oil seeping type leaks around the top of the heads and one at the back of the rear cylinder. These leaks are becoming noticeably more prevalent the more I ride. I can now smell the oil hitting the exhaust pipes when I stop after a long run. I went by the dealership last Friday to see what the fix might be. In speaking to the service writer and mechanic, they told me that they would have to drop the engine to access the parts to replace the leaking gaskets. The factory gaskets were paper and tend to blow out. The replacement gaskets are re-engineered metal gaskets and will never go bad. In all, it would be around $475 in labor to replace a few gaskets. My heart sunk because I knew that I had to have the work done. I plan on keeping this bike until the wheels fall off.

Well, the service writer takes the VIN and runs it through their computer while I'm talking to the mechanic. He comes back out and starts talking to the mechanic about two different recalls. One had been done years back but the other hadn't yet been done. It was one for something about a backfire or something. The service writer was looking at me with a half assed grin when I finally asked the question..."What do you need to do to perform the factory recall?" He responds that he needs to pull the heads and do some valve train work. Now, mind you, I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes but I finally ask the obfukinvious question, "Do you need to drop the motor to do that?" Well, duh! He said yes and confirmed today that Kawasaki will cover the recall. So, bottom line, I'm getting the gaskets replaced for free because of a 16 year old Kawasaki recall. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Will have it in the shop next Monday and should have it back inside of two weeks. This is the acid test with this dealership. I've had nothing but great experiences with their parts department. Now we'll see if the service department is as good.

Now, I'm working on what else I can do with the motor while it's out of the frame. There are a few issues that I'm thinkin' on. Will update as work progresses.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Great Day Empty Re: Great Day

Post by NeonLeon November 26th 2013, 6:41 am

Way to go EEEEE! That WAS a great day! Congrats!!!Thumbs Up 
NeonLeon
NeonLeon
The Man The Myth
The Man The Myth

Male Number of posts : 7201

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack November 26th 2013, 11:27 am

you can't beat that offer with a stick eric , were happy for you , send some of that good luck this way bro , hd1 
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by trip November 26th 2013, 2:13 pm

That was a Great Day indeed.
trip
trip
True Haven Supporter