Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad

5 posters

Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad Empty Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad

Post by Psalmist June 11th 2011, 11:02 pm

Lu 11:11 "Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he?

If that's a little confusing, here's What Jesus said in the Message Bible's version:

If your little boy asks for a serving of fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate?

We are fast coming up on Father's Day. When possible, I try to take my family on a vacation to Florida or somewhere out of town. With 4/7 still living at home, we're heading out to Pensacola monday. One of my older sons is going to stay at the house and hopefully have a quiet time. I hope you dads have a great time with your family this week.

There is no perfect dad. Remember all the 'sitcoms' with "Father knows Best", "My Three Sons", and all the other perfect family dads? Well that was Hollywood and not the real story. Most dads make giant 'mistrakes' constantly in an imperfect home. So don't think yourself a failure as a dad if things aren't perfect at home. Are you responsible for your kids' success in life? Maybe a little. You can't push them into peace and prosperity, but you can set the stage. There are things you can do that will increase their chances at greatness. Maybe there are things you know DON'T belong in your house. Don't confuse style for trash. If you don't like the type of music, clothes, etc; examine why. Sure, if the music promotes violence or other negative things; file it in the trash. But first sit down and listen or watch it with them.

In our home it's pretty strict. I don't expect you to agree with any of this, but here's what we have set up. No dating untill they are 17. Someone said 'Dating is practicing divorce.' I agree with that. No non Christian music comes in the house and movies with one swear word has to go. Music and movies stir the imagination and stupid thoughts can pop up constantly. So we try to steer clear of 'Garbage in, Garbage out.'

2Co 10:5
We destroy arguments and every proud obstacle to the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Sure we have movies and music. All seven of my kids are singers and musicians. My oldest has a endorsement with Washburn guitars. And we enjoy watching movies on the big screen with monster speakers (Jensen 15" and horns per side). My wife is a RN and worked in several hospitals before we decided to homeschool. Now she stays at home and has a small daycare. Am I smothering my kids? Am I keeping them from experiencing everything? I sure hope so. Some things I experienced in..... they don't need to. Are my kids normal? The oldest son is sales manager for Ashley Furniture for all the stores in Arkansas. My oldest daughter is now in her 5th year of Radiology at our local college. My next son is in management of Chic Fila. So I think they're doing pretty good inspite of my strictness.

As a father, you have to be the wall. You have to say "No." sometimes, even if YOU don't want to. Sometimes (alot) you have to be willing to say you're sorry. You will fail constantly as I have. But when you see them walking with the cap and gown or in a bridal dress, you realize you did at least one thing right. So, pat yourself on the back. My oldest son gave me the biggest compliment one day. He invited another boy over to play. The boy kept wanting to get in trouble. I overheard my son say "My dad said 'No' and my dad don't change." To me that was one of the greatest compliments of my life. I hope your children honor you this Father's Day with love. Sure, a new motorcycle seat or chrome might be nice too. But most importantly is a child's love. I save every card they actually make. Store bought cards are ok, but child made cards are priceless.

So, if you've made some mistakes with your kids, tell them you're sorry. Celebrate the time you have left. Don't wait till you can afford to have kids or take vacations. Just do them and pay for it later. I know people that almost waited too late to take trips with their families or on their bikes. Now that they are sick, they can't go anymore. I'm coming up on my 3rd year of battling cancer. Last month I bought another Goldwing and have plans to travel alot this summer. I have a 3,000 mile trip in a few weeks. In other words dad, 'Go For It!' Be the best dad you can be. Set boundaries and bind them in love. You are a good dad. Become a great dad. You can't make time, but you can take time to be with them. Remember I'm praying for you. May the love of Jesus Christ guard you and anoint your home with joy. Have a FANTASTIC week and go for a ride.
Dino
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad

Post by smokum June 12th 2011, 11:07 pm

Excellent words from a very wise man. Jesus must be very proud. Thanks Dino. I'm trying.
smokum
smokum
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad Empty Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : Dad

Post by Railrider June 12th 2011, 11:14 pm

TU
Railrider
Railrider
True Haven Supporter