Biker-Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A very unusual Friday....long post

+5
Simpleman77
jedishon
jaarch
smokum
markspike
9 posters

Go down

A very unusual Friday....long post Empty A very unusual Friday....long post

Post by markspike November 14th 2010, 9:11 am

Some of you that belong to another forum may have seen the following that I posted yesterday. Simpleman has background on what happened to me back in April, but long story short, I had soccer-mom make a left turn in front of me and I stopped her mini-van with my body. So, without further ado, I bring you the following:

Yesterday (Friday the 12th) was absolutely a lovely, Indian Summer day (as has been this whole week) in NE Ohio. My wife had decided earlier in the week to take a vacation day from work so that the two of us could enjoy the last throes of nice weather before the usual gray, dingy weather of November through March comes a-calling. Unintentionally, we both wound up sleeping a little later that we wanted (including our two black lab mixes, Dabney and Dudley). We had decided the evening before that we would take “the boys” for a nice, long walk down in the Cleveland Metroparks (do a Google search – lots of neat info about it, if you don't know our area), which is literally a hop, skip and a jump from our home. We also decided to take and scatter the ashes of our departed companions, Dodge and Dakota, at the spot that they used to love romping around.

To make a short story long, we finally got out and left the house around 1:00 PM. Cara says “Why don't we take the boys down to Wallace Lake?”. I grudgingly agree. Wallace Lake is where my accident happened back in April. I have been back there twice since the accident; once on my Aero, just to shed my own trepidation of the area and another shortly after Dodge left this Earth, when Cara and I took Dabney for a romp and right before we adopted Dudley. It's a nice area, with a small beach for swimming and picnic grounds. Lots of families hang out, and they hold classic car shows there throughout the summer and a general meeting places for riders. But, I digress.

The first and most obvious thing that we both notice is the number of bikes out enjoying the last of the good riding weather. And I mean there were A LOT of bikes out. Cruising the parkway is a popular ride since it is a 30 MPH roadway that follows the course of the Rocky River through wooded parkland and a lot of twists and turns. Fairly peaceful, if you catch the drift. And, a fun, slow cruise.

So, we pull into the parking lot near a group of riders (2 HD's, one Star, a Honda and a Triumph) all of whom had nice-looking rides, which of course I was admiring, and even elicited comments from Cara about how “pretty” a couple were. We began our walk with “the boys”, who immediately began there favorite activity when we take them to the park – tugging on us while sniffing every square inch that they can, and trying to chase after squirrels. Trying, I say, because they tend to forget that they are on a leash. It can be quite amusing...

This is when my my day became unsettling...

We were working our way around the large green area, back toward the road. We were about 25 yards from the pathway that straddles the parkway, when it happens – and, it happens as if in slow-motion – a lady rider high sides. Time freezes for a moment. Cara and I both look at each other, she being slack-jawed and a ghostly white. I have a momentary flashback, then take off “running” (I can't really run with my current physical problems, but Dudley is urging me to) and get to her as quickly as I can. A couple on their HD are off their bike and over to her in a heartbeat, two cars each direction stop to block the road and people are whipping out cell phones to call 911. I have mine in my hand trying to call 911 as well while I am “running”, but the calls have already gone out so I put mine away.

As I reach the rider, she's laying on the ground, face-up with her arms extended over her head and unconscious. Her left leg is crossed over her right as one's might be if you were cloud-gazing. Her hands are twitching. She is, however, ATGATT, and actually landed in the shoulder of the road in softer ground. Lady passenger from the HD gets to her first, kneels next to her and begins to talk soothingly to her to make sure she doesn't move. I hit the kill switch on the bike and key it off (late model VT1100 – nice looking bike – didn't appear too badly damaged, tho we did not upright it since the police will need to take photos). The older fellow whom she was apparently riding with has by this time returned, obviously shaken and on his cell phone calling relatives of the downed rider. She has now begun to regain consciousness, and is saying it's difficult to breath and her arm hurts (hard to breath – been there, so I am assuming broken ribs). Her riding companion then states that she's a new rider and is on heart medication. I am silently praying that she's OK.

Within two minutes, four squad cars are there to block/direct traffic and within 3 minutes, EMS arrives.
Lady HD's partner is now urging her to “C'mon, let's go” as he is also visibly shaken by the ordeal. EMS takes over as I urge the downed rider to lie still, and she pleads to her riding companion to not let her go to the hospital alone. He promises that she won't be alone.

The first fellow who stopped directly behind her just happened to be a Park Ranger who had just completed his shift and still had his badge on his belt, though he was now in civvies. I finally recognize him – he was the Ranger that responded to my crash and came to the hospital to meet my wife. He also rides. If you are reading this, Ranger Gambetti, Thank You – wished we could have talked further, but you were obviously busy. He asks who saw what happened besides himself and six people who were on the roadway stayed to provide written statements.

Seeing that she is now well-cared for, I return to Cara across the road with Dudley oddly calm (strange of a one-year old black lab mix), and Dabney whom Cara is walking, sitting quietly as well. We continue our walk, though I am shaking like a leaf in a strong wind. So is Cara. She asks how lady rider is, and I say that I think she'll be OK, which I think she will. She was ATGATT, she was in shock, but I know she was well-cared for by the EMS crew and taken to the same trauma center I was and spent the night in ICU. Thought about calling to check on her, but it would be fruitless, since they would give me no information as I am not a family member.

As we head back to our vehicle, other riders who have stopped further back and saw me near the scene ask what happened, and I tell them she high sided. The all just bowed their heads as if in silent prayer. As we near our vehicle, Cara (to ease our own tensions) says jokingly “Hey, Mark! Let's take the boys down to Wallace Lake for a walk! It'll be fun!” with a look of shock on her face. All I can do is laugh nervously, and she utters a few obscenities to ease her own tension. We load up the boys, pull out of the parking lot and I casually point to the spot where I went down. She once again goes white.

It's about 1/5th of a mile from where the lady rider went down, tho lady rider's accident did not involve another vehicle.

Don't know what caused her to high side, could have been something related to her heart condition, but I doubt it. Looks to me like she hit a tar snake (lots of the in that area) and grabbed a huge handful of brake and totally lost control. Don't know now and probably never will.

Well...CJ and me continued on down the parkway, went to the planned spot to spread the ashes of our beloved companions, loaded the boys back up, dropped them off at home and went and grabbed a burger and beer at Naks. We came home and had a few more, then hit the sack a little earlier than usual for a Friday night.

I am sure you can guess what the topic of conversation was for the rest of the evening...

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know it's a bit long-winded, but it helped me a little to put it in writing.

Last edited by markspike on November 14th 2010, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
markspike
markspike

Male Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

A very unusual Friday....long post Empty Re: A very unusual Friday....long post

Post by smokum November 14th 2010, 9:25 am

Glad you took the time to share. i hear ya. :-)
smokum
smokum
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1136

Back to top Go down

Post by jaarch November 14th 2010, 10:36 am

Thanks for sharing this story and yours. Sounds like you needed to let it out.
jaarch
jaarch
The six-wheeled man

Male Number of posts : 7387

Back to top Go down

Post by jedishon November 14th 2010, 11:02 am

Sounds like another life lasting memory.
jedishon
jedishon
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 5470

Back to top Go down

Post by Simpleman77 November 14th 2010, 12:04 pm

Mark, I read this on HS.N and feel for you. There is nothing more powerful than memories like those returning unexpectedly. You did a great thing in helping that lady. You have first hand knowledge of what it's like to be laying there looking up at strangers wanting to help you (interestingly enough, in almost the same geographic spot!). She was very scared and, whether or not you realize it, you helped her to come to grips with where she was and the fear that she was feeling. That was a selfless act. You could have stayed where you were, and been justified in doing so, when you saw her go down but you chose instead to move into a very uncomfortable memory and help her instead.

My hat's off to you and your wife for helping a fellow biker. Also, thanks for sharing.
Simpleman77
Simpleman77
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2774

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetrash November 14th 2010, 7:10 pm

Judging by the Help that you gave you were meant to be there at that time. -------- Coffee
whitetrash
whitetrash
Coffee Member
Coffee Member

Male Number of posts : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post by actionpack November 14th 2010, 8:34 pm

good to hear u was there and able to help , i'v have been the 1 belly up befor and it was great having some 1 talking to u and letting ya no how things look , thanks for shareing markspike A very unusual Friday....long post 18966
actionpack
actionpack
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 8681

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist November 15th 2010, 12:05 am

good post. Thanks.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by marang November 15th 2010, 12:01 pm

Thanks for sharing a horrible memory and helping a fellow biker.
marang
marang
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 5977

Back to top Go down

Post by markspike November 16th 2010, 10:18 pm

Thank you, folks. It was really...scary, odd, gratifying, sobering and emotional.
That poor gal was going through some really, REALLY scary stuff. I'm sure that she won't remember much (if anything) about my being there, or Lady HD or Ranger Gambetti, but, given the level of care that *I* received from those EMS responders, I know she was in good hands.

Funny thing, tho...Saturday we still had real nice weather, and CJ and I took the boys for a walk around the neighborhood. As we were walking back to our home, one of the new neighbors commented about how "nice" a bike I had and if I was going to get out and ride with such nice weather. Told him briefly about Friday and how CJ isn't happy with MC's...

Got the boys home, hung the leashes and Cara says: "You should go for a ride while the weather is nice."...so...

I did! Not long, just enough to stretch the legs and cool her fears. And, maybe my own.

It felt good! riding
markspike
markspike

Male Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmist November 17th 2010, 12:54 am

riding is therapeutic : Cycletherapy.

Some years ago (like you) I came upon a wreck. It was gruesome but all survived. I gave them my phone number and got theirs. I checked up on them for a few weeks. Then in the mail I got a wonderful wood carved plack with "praying hands" carved on it too. They thanked me for my prayers and help.. I never thought that would happen.
Psalmist
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum